If you’re looking to reduce your utility bills and air conditioning costs, then investing in solar screens might be something to consider.
These energy-efficient window coverings do more than help with insulation; they protect against damaging UV rays and improve your home’s aesthetics!
However, before installing solar screens, there are several pros and cons that you should consider first. All these will help you decide whether solar screens suit you and your family.
What are solar screens? How do they work, and are they suitable for you? Continue reading this guide on what are solar screens?
What Are Solar Screens?
Solar screens are a type of window treatment that can block the sun’s rays. They are typically made of a mesh material placed over the window. Solar screens can be used to reduce the amount of heat that enters a home in the summer months.
They can also be used to reduce the amount of glare on a television or computer screen. Solar screens can be an effective way to save energy, but there are some things you should consider before installing them.
For example, if your window faces north, solar screens may not provide as much benefit. The reason is that the sun doesn’t reach your windows during these hours.
Another consideration would be where you live. Solar screens may not provide much benefit in areas with cool summers because they only work when it’s hot outside.
And finally, they’re often expensive to install, approximately $150 per window. However, they will save money on air conditioning bills by reducing how much energy is needed for cooling inside your home.
What Are the Pros of Solar Screens?
- They can reduce your cooling costs by blocking the sun’s heat.
- They can also protect your furniture and flooring from fading.
- Solar screens can increase the privacy of your home.
- They can be used on both windows and doors.
- Solar screens are available in various colors and styles to match your home’s décor.
- They are relatively easy to install yourself if you’re handy.
- Solar screens can be removed when they’re no longer needed
What Are the Cons of Solar Screens?
It’s essential to be aware of the potential drawbacks when considering solar screens for your home. Solar screens can reduce the sunlight that comes into your home, making it feel darker and more relaxed. They can also be costly to install and maintain.
Additionally, solar screens can reduce the view from your windows and make it more challenging to see outside. The decrease in natural light may lead to increased energy costs if you use artificial lighting during the day.
Solar screens can also cause problems with television and computer monitors. When working on a computer, the glare caused by solar screens can cause some distortion in what is seen.
There are products available that help minimizes this problem, though. Another issue with solar screens is that they block natural outdoor sounds like birds chirping or cars driving by.
The Functionality of Solar Screens
Solar screens are energy-efficient to keep your home cool in the summer, and they work by reflecting sunlight away from your windows, keeping your home cooler, and reducing energy bills.
Solar screens can be purchased in various colors and styles to match your home’s décor. They are easy to install and can be removed during winter when you don’t need them.
Solar screens effectively reduce heat gain in your home and visibility through your windows, and solar screens can make it difficult to see outside your windows during the day.
What Are the Benefits of Using Solar Screens?
- They can reduce glare on your television or computer screen, making it easier to watch during the day.
- They can also help reduce energy costs by blocking out some of the sun’s heat, making it easier to keep your home cool in the summertime.
- Solar screens can also provide privacy from nosy neighbors or passersby.
- Solar screens can also help keep them out of your home if you live in an area with many bugs.
- Solar screens can also be used on windows that get a lot of direct sunlight, helping to protect your furniture from fading.
- They can be a great way to add curb appeal to your home without spending much money.
- Plus, they’re easy to install! You don’t need any heavy machinery or tools; you can do it immediately and start enjoying their benefits!
The Potential Downsides
Solar screens can be an eyesore. If they’re not installed correctly, they can look crooked and messy. If you live in a windy area, the screens can flap around and make a lot of noise.
Additionally, solar screens can block your view of the outside, making it feel like you’re living in a cave. Plus, they can be expensive to install and maintain.
Finally, solar screens can be dangerous if not installed properly, as they can fall off and hurt people or damage property. Solar screens are excellent if you want to control the amount of light that enters your room.
They also help keep homes more relaxed by blocking heat from coming in during the summer when sunlight is most intense.
What Are Solar Screens Tips for Deciding if These Window Shades Are Right for You?
Solar screens block the sun’s rays to keep your home cooler. They can be attached to the outside of your windows or on the inside. Solar screens are available in various colors and styles to match your home’s aesthetic.
These window shades can reduce energy costs by blocking heat from the sun. Solar screens can also protect your furniture and flooring from fading due to UV exposure. However, solar screens can make it difficult to see outside and may need to be cleaned regularly.
Before deciding if solar screens are suitable, consider the pros and cons carefully. These window shades help you stay cool but may need to be regularly cleaned because they accumulate dirt over time.
Consider your priorities and how much time and money you’re willing to spend maintaining them.
What Are Solar Screens in the Difference Do Solar Screens Make?
Solar screens can significantly affect the heat and glare entering your home; they reflect sunlight away from your windows, keeping your home cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter.
Solar screens can reduce UV rays entering your home, which can help protect your furniture and flooring from fading.
Solar screens are a great way to save energy and money, but you should consider a few things before installing them.
First, solar screens can reduce the amount of natural light that enters your home, and if you enjoy a lot of natural light, you may want to avoid them. Second, installing solar screens can be costly, so you’ll need to factor that into your budget.
How to Install a Solar Screen?
- Decide which window you want to install the solar screen on.
- Purchase the solar screen that is the right size for your window(s).
- Trim the solar screen to fit your window(s).
- Remove the old screen from your window(s).
- Install the new solar screen on your window(s).
- Enjoy reduced glare and UV rays coming into your home!
- Repeat steps 1-6 for any other windows on which you want to install solar screens.
- Solar screens are durable but will not last forever if exposed to extreme weather conditions such as hail storms or intense heat or cold.
- If there are noticeable tears in a solar screen, it is best to replace it rather than try and fix it. This could cause the incision to get bigger over time and eventually lead to a tear through the material of the solar screen.
- Solar screens reduce glare by up to 80% when installed correctly. If you don’t feel like you’re getting enough sleep during the summer, this could be just what you need!
Solar screens can be a great way to save money on your energy bill. However, they can make it harder to see out of your windows, and some people find them unattractive. Weigh the pros and cons carefully before deciding if solar screens suit you.