You know that metal roofing has many advantages for your home, but you might not be sure which type of metal roofing is best for your situation. There are many different types of metal roofing panels available.
Each has different features that set it apart from the others. Here are the popular types to consider to help you decide which type of metal roofing panel is best for your home.
What Are Metal Roofing Panels?
Metal roofing panels are an increasingly popular choice for homes and businesses. They are durable, long-lasting, and require little maintenance. Many different types of metal roofing panels are available on the market, each with its own benefits.
The most common types of metal roofing panels are made from steel, aluminum, or Copper. Steel roofing panels are the most durable option but are also the heaviest and most expensive.
Aluminum roofing panels are a lighter-weight option that is more affordable than steel but not as durable. Copper roofing panels are the most costly option but offer the best protection against weather damage and fire.
Tips for Choosing a Type of Metal Roofing Panel for Your Home
Here are seven things to consider when choosing a type of metal roofing panel for your home -The cost varies depending on the type of metal roofing panel you choose.
On average, aluminum composite is cheaper than zinc alloy, but both can last for decades if properly maintained.
- Weight: Aluminum composite is lightweight and easy to install by yourself or an installer, whereas zinc alloy may require more physical strength during installation. -Durability: Zinc alloy tends to be more durable because it has higher strength properties that resist corrosion and rusting. However, this also means that zinc alloy will be heavier than aluminum composite, which could impact energy efficiency.
- Corrosion: Aluminium composite is resistant to corrosive environments such as salt water and harsh weather conditions. Whereas zinc alloy is prone to rust in these types of environments.
- Moisture Proofing: One benefit of using aluminum composite as a metal roofing panel is that it has a built-in moisture-proof coating, which must be applied separately with zinc alloy.
- Ease of Maintenance: Although zinc alloy requires occasional cleaning and sealing, it doesn’t need repainting like aluminum composite.
- Warranty: Warranties typically range from 20 years to 50 years for both types of metal roofing panels. It is always best to check the warranty terms before purchasing a metal roofing panel for your home. For instance, if one company offers a lifetime warranty for their product, it would be wise to buy from them even though the price might be slightly higher. The most important thing is to buy quality products that will last many years without expensive maintenance and repair costs.
Different Types of Metal Roofing Panels
1. Galvanized Steel
Galvanized steel is one of the most popular types of metal roofing panels. It’s made by coating a layer of zinc over steel, which protects the steel from rust and corrosion.
Galvanized steel is available in various thicknesses and coatings to find the perfect option for your home. Galvanized steel is one of the most durable types of metal roofing panels, with a lifespan of 20-30 years.
It’s also low-maintenance, as it doesn’t require painting or other treatments. Cons: Galvanized steel can be more expensive than different types of metal roofing panels.
2. Stainless Steel
When it comes to metal roofing, there are a lot of options available. But stainless steel is an excellent choice if you’re looking for a metal roof that will stand the test of time.
Here are seven reasons why stainless steel makes an excellent metal roofing material:
- It’s highly durable. Stainless steel can withstand high winds and heavy snowfall without denting or breaking.
- It’s fire-resistant. In the event of a wildfire, your home will be better protected if it has a stainless steel roof.
- It reflects heat. This can help keep your home cooler in the summer, saving you money on your energy bills.
- It’s low-maintenance.
3. Zinc Alloy
Zinc alloys are popular types of metal roofing panels. Zinc alloy is known for its durability and resistance to corrosion, while aluminum composite is lighter weight and easier to work with. This type of metal roofing panel has pros and cons, so it’s essential to weigh your options before deciding.
4. Copper Composite
Copper composite panels are an excellent choice for those who want the beauty of Copper without the high price tag. These panels are made of a copper-colored alloy and offer the same benefits as pure copper panels. Copper composite panels are also straightforward to install, making them an excellent option for do-it-yourselfers.
5. Aluminum Composite
Aluminum is a popular choice for metal roofing because it is lightweight, durable, and reflective. Aluminum roofing is available in various colors and styles, so you can find an option that complements your home’s exterior.
6. Aluminum Tread Plate
If you’re looking for types of metal roofing panels that are both lightweight and durable, an aluminum tread plate is a good option. It’s also easy to install, which can save you money on labor costs. An aluminum tread plate comes in various colors and finishes, so you can find one that complements your home’s style.
7. Copper Clad
The last type of metal roofing panel we’ll discuss today is Copper clad. Copper-clad metal roofing panels are an excellent choice for those who want the beauty of Copper without the high price tag.
These panels are made of a steel core coated with a thin layer of Copper. Copper-clad panels are available in various colors, including green, blue, and brown. The thicker the layer of Copper on these panels, the more expensive they will be.
8. Slate Inspired
If you’re looking for types of metal roofing panels that are both beautiful and durable, slate-inspired metal roofing is a great option. There are a variety of metal roofing panels to choose from, each with its advantages.
Slate-inspired metal roofing panels are a popular choice for those who want the look of slate without the high price tag. These panels are typically made of steel or aluminum and can be found in various colors.
Another advantage of slate-inspired metal roofing panels is that they’re fire-resistant, giving you peace of mind in an emergency.
9. Stone-coated Steel Panels
Are you looking for types of metal roofing panels that will give your home a unique look? Stone-coated steel panels might be the right choice for you.
Stone-coated steel panels are made of a thin layer of steel coated with stone chips. This type of metal roofing panel is available in various colors, so you can find one that perfectly matches your home’s exterior.
Stone-coated steel panels are durable and long-lasting, making them an excellent choice for those who want a low-maintenance roof.
One downside to stone-coated steel panels is that they can be more expensive than other types of metal roofing panels.
10. Tile Metal Roofs
Tile metal roofs are strong, durable, and easy to maintain. They come in various colors and styles to find the perfect look for your home. If you live in an area with severe weather conditions, tile metal roofs can provide added protection against high winds and hail.
11. Standing Seam Metal Roofs
Standing seam metal roofs are one of the most popular metal roofing panels. They are durable, energy-efficient, and easy to install. Plus, they come in various colors and styles to match any home. Consider a standing seam roof if you’re looking for a metal roof that will last for years.
If you’re looking for types of roofing panel that is durable, eco-friendly, and stylish, metal roofing is a great option. There are a variety of metal roofing panels to choose from, each with its benefits.
Corrugated metal panels are a popular choice for their durability and rustic look. Standing seam metal panels are another popular option because they’re easy to install and provide a clean, finished look.
Tile metal roofs are a good choice if you’re looking for something that resembles traditional tile roofs but with the added benefit of being more durable.