We have all had trying times where our hair seems dry, breaking, shedding, and is also unable to detangle, which drives us crazy!
Or maybe you are extremely bored with your fro and miss the days when the wind swung, blew, and twirled your hair.
The best choice to make at first is to find alternatives to hair relaxers before picking up the half-priced relaxer package from the beauty supplies store.
Here is a fantastic list of 8 alternatives to hair relaxers, that is if you need to relax your hair, but don’t want to use a hair relaxer.
However, there are pros and cons for each of the options mentioned below.
1. Keratin Treatment
I suggest you try a keratin treatment if you are willing to try alternatives to hair relaxers. If you have not noticed, treatment with keratin works well with people who have frizzy and curly hair.
It might help you straighten your hair, giving you the glam that you want, which stands out from the crowd.
Some reports indicate that using keratin cream for up to three months, made the hair smooth.
As one of the suitable alternatives to hair relaxers, keratin therapy saves a lot of time when styling your hair.
However, before you opt for a particular procedure, I suggest that you consult your hairstylist.
These treatments may cost between $25 to $250.
- It works for both males and females
- It is safe for the hair
- It reduces the frizz on your hair
- It leaves hair soft and shiny
- It is not suitable for pregnant women
- The treatment might be expensive
- It may cause allergic reactions
2. Straightening Your Hair
Among the alternatives to hair relaxers, straightening your hair is said to be one of the easiest and probably one of the cheapest too.
Instead of applying a hair relaxer to style your hair, why not use a straightening iron to perform this job? It makes the hair look gorgeous, which leaves you feeling fantastic and fulfilled.
The reality is that as we age, hair shrinkage is inevitable, and you might find yourself missing the hair flips you used to do back in the day. You should not, however, let it be a discouraging factor. By straightening your hair, you can achieve the look you crave so much.
Do you have healthy hair? If yes, you will be pleased to know that you can change the style of your hair from curly to straight.
Before straightening your hair, you can try an oil-based shampoo on your hair first, then apply some hair oil while combing to spread it.
Finally, you can now use a flat iron to straighten your, but only after following the previously-mentioned procedure.
Depending on the model, flat-iron prices will vary from $19 to $200.
- You can easily use them to incorporate various types
- They make your hair frizz-free
- They heat up quickly,
- Your hair may be harmed when used repeatedly
- Some are very costly.
3. Vegetable Oils
There are several types of vegetable oils available in the market that you can use to condition your hair, which makes it healthy.
After all, your appearance is improved by healthy hair, and there is nobody who does not want to be admired for their beauty. Vegetable oils function well because they are hydrophobic, helping to protect your hair.
The best recommendation is to combine ingredients in order to achieve the best results when you use vegetable oils.
For example, you may combine a high-spreading ingredient with a polar ingredient. Combining these ingredients ensures your hair gets the frizz-free status you desire.
However, it is advisable to check the composition and stability of the vegetable oil you want, because there is a possibility that the oil is not compatible with your hair type.
For less than $50, you can buy your vegetable oils from various supermarkets or cosmetics shops. You can probably use them once or twice a week, depending on your choice.
- They are rich in vitamin E, which aids growth and development
- They contain antioxidants
- They contain several nutrients that encourage healthy hair
- Some have antibacterial properties
- They contain trans fats
- They are known to contain a lot of fatty acids, which may be harmful in excess
4. Silicone Creams
Silicone creams are known to be among the frequently used alternatives to hair relaxers. Usually, they straighten your hair without heat, and they work effectively from the feedback gotten from most users.
Silicone creams are best suited for thick hair, or if you have fine or damaged hair that does not fit well with hot tools or other chemicals.
Creams made of silicone have a high consistency, which is why they are ideal for people with thick hair.
You can also apply these creams when your hair is partly dry. If you want the best results, you must ensure that they are applied from the root up to the tip.
Your hair will remain straight until it is re-washed. The cost of silicone cream ranges from $5 to $50.
- They protect the hair from negative effects, such as UV light,
- They let you style your hair with ease
- Ideal for maintaining frizz-free hair
- Difficult to wash out sometimes after repeated use
- They may also prevent the hair shaft from breathing
5. Blow-out Options
Blowing out your hair is said to be among the alternatives to hair relaxers. A blow-out is done by a stylist in a salon, so, to avoid any harm, it is best to go to a salon.
However, you can carry out the process by yourself if you know what you are doing.
- It is easy to complete
- They are long-lasting
- Ideal for hair that is durable
- They have chemicals that can affect your hair in a bad way
- They are a little costly.
6. Cutting Your Hair
Trying to cut some people’s hair might ensue a fight between you and the second party.
However, what those people don’t know is that cutting your hair encourages its growth, which ensures that you have healthy hair that is envied by others.
What’s more, all of the hair does not need to be cut; you can trim it at the tips or ends. You could also go for a diva cut or tapered cut.
So, why don’t you get your hair cut instead of worrying about the relaxer? The market has various hair clippers or trimmers, ranging from $10 to $100.
- The facial structure and features are pronounced
- Maintenance and care are easy
- It creates a flattering appearance
- Your choices for hairstyling are restricted
- Some individuals regret cutting their hair
7. Blow drying
You might consider blow-drying your hair instead of using a hair relaxer. Luckily, there are several hair dryers that you can buy to style your hair properly in the market.
You should expect to have extraordinarily smooth hair when you use the hairdryers, as suggested. Moreover, you can preserve the natural volume of your hair as well.
Before resettling with a particular blow dryer, it is best for you to do an extensive market study. The reason? There are different kinds of blow dryers, and each is made to fit a specific style of hair. Ensure that you get one that’s right for your hairstyle.
Blow dryers are designed to spread heat so that your hair can dry easily and give it that smooth, silky shine uniformly.
For the best results, make sure to use this device when your hair is 70 percent dry. While using a blow dryer to straighten your hair, a comb often comes in handy.
- Blow dryers provide you with the flexibility to style your hair
- Blow dryers are portable and light
- Blow drying helps you maintain your hairstyle throughout the day,
- Blow drying may cause the thread to weaken
- It could ruin the texture of your hair
- Repeated use can reduce the brightness or shine of your hair
8. Consider Long-term Protective Styles
Using a hair relaxer is not always the key to achieving the excellent look you desire. Settling with long-term protective styles may be among the best alternatives for hair relaxers.
Going for protective styles doesn’t mean your hair is damaged or harmed; it only means you might need some improvement.
Sewing in or wearing wigs or braids is some of the most popular protective choices as they give you the desired break from fixing and doing your hair, which makes them a viable alternative.
- They have low maintenance levels
- There are a lot of options available
- They encourage hair growth
- You can have them in various colors
- The edges of the hair can get damaged
- It may cause your scalp to be itchy
- The hair may develop an odor under the protective style